Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

When I Just Don't Know

 Three words I hate are "I don't know". I hated saying those words and how they made me feel. I cringed everytime I heard them from nonbelievers. If "what if" is a monster, "I don't know" is a prison. I have my own personal cell like Otis from the Andy Griffith show. I keep letting myself in and out. Occasionally, Jesus keeps posting my bail. Humorous as it is, it was wise for Otis to keep returning voluntarily to the jail. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" is a sobering cliche.
Not knowing what to do is a clear indication of one of two things.
A.
you have lost focus on your creator and he isn't controlling you.
B.
  you've never accepted and given the creator control over you.

I don't mean God isn't in control. He does what He wants, when He wants, to whom He wants, how He wants to. Even though He has plan already in place, He has given us the ability to choose things.  We can choose to be controlled by Him, or by things of this world. People who don't know what to do, often don't know enough about what or who they believe in.  The world will say believe in yourself but sooner or later, that will come down like a house of cards. There is no escaping our inevitable collapse. It's hard to to find meaning or purpose for your life within those thoughts.

There is no meaning or purpose to this life apart from Christ. Focusing on Christ, sharpens not only the vision but the projection of a believer.
Being controlled by Christ, uniquely shields believers from and sets them free from "I don't knows". That doesn't mean He will give you all the answers. Often when obedient, I'm left with little more to show than puzzled or disappointed looks. Because He gives purpose to mystery, we need to keep moving even in our uncertainty. We need to continually fight the enemy.

So to combat this stifling spirit of confusion, do two things.
Do something you know to do. Honorable and decent things. Serve God by serving others. According to Galations 5, in doing so, we will enjoy the fruit of the spirit. In any case "against such things there is no law."

Do nothing you have to question. If you have to wonder if its right, don't do it. Protect the image you project. The best example of what to be or not be is probably found in   Read Romans 14  Verse 21 sums it up. "It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble." Most confusing "I don't knows" could be avoided by following a simple formula. God first, people second, ourselves last.

Jesus refers to himself as "the light of the world". In Matthew 5:14 He calls His people the "light of the world." Shining good works before all men may very well start with illuminating and eliminating stumbling blocks along the way to glorifying God. No matter how bright the bulb is, a dingy cover will restrict it. Don't let anything prevent more of Him from shining through you.

This world is filled with a lot of "I don't knows" but our lives are filled by the the one who knows, everything about any and everything there is to know about and them some. Like a concerned parent, He sometimes forcefully spoon feeds our medicine to us. Even in those trying times, as Matt suggested, I can hear Him whisper, "keep your fork, dessert's coming." I can almost taste it.



No comments: