Search This Blog

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Pecan Trees and Brain Tumors

It was fourteen feet in just 5 years. Pretty good for a amateur arborist. The day I planted my pecan tree my youngest daughter asked my wife ,"why is daddy planting a stick ?" I did everything right. It was regulaly pruned. The proper fertilizer was used. I watered it regularly and treated it for pest. It was beautiful right up until it died. I was perplexed and kinda ticked off. I put a good bit of time and money into that tree.  Except it wasn't dead. It isn't fourteen feet anymore but from the root a new tree is growing. I now envision a stronger more beautiful tree than before.
What in the world does that have to do with a brain tumor? Absolutely nothing. Unless, you have an epidermoid growing inside your head and the tree just happens to be planted where you see it everyday. I have known for a week today what my friends have known for years. My problems are all in my head. Since this is a congenital defect, they've been right all along. They've always said, "boy you ain't never been right in the head!" Who knew I had such prophetic friends! The tumor is large but benign and removable. Praise God from whom all blessings flow. So here's what the pecan tree reminds a man who's about to have a literal hole in his head.

I didn't expect the tree to die. I did not expect the tree to come back either.  Despite our efforts when it comes to Pecans (and everything else), crop production is not our our job. Our job is to plant, water, and harvest. I've seen those farthest from God come to know Him best. I've seen those I considered saints throw in the towel on the good fight. I've seen tragedy and miracles. So to strengthen our faith and in causing our focus of total dependency upon Him, God continually reminds us to expect the unexpected.  

The Tree's connection to life was its roots.  Likewise our foundation, our roots, must be connected to the giver of life. I don't even want to imagine facing this without a relationship with Christ. I have had a fleeting moment just long enough to convey this message to the enemy. God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. (2 Timothy 1:7 ESV)

It's not my pecan tree. It's not my skin, body or even my tumor. Everything is God's. And He can and will do what He wants. My buddy Kevin Child's said it like this.  "God does what He wants. When he wants to.  To and through what and who He wants to. And He's always right." The bible teaches us all things were created for His pleasure. And it will be Good. Revelation 4:11 Romans 8:28