Search This Blog

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Missing the Boat. The Rambling Whims of Man, Who's a Little Crazy .


I'm an insomniac. Did you know it's been linked to Psychosis?  To top it off I'm talking to God right now. I'll admit to being a little crazy. Maybe it'll help others admit they are. I love to help people. Crazy people who talk to God tend to do that.  Warning: you may be reading the whims of a mad man. Though they'd never admit it, I'd bet the farm, the staunchest, most sane atheist, in my condition, pumped full of insulin and steroids, experiencing more than a little pain, looses a little sleep and secretly whispers a little prayer. If he doesn't maybe he's a little more nuts than me. Right about here, my buddy, Kevin Child's, would have had something real snarky to interject about "more nuts" concerning my previous medical condition. He'd had a field day making puns tying the two conditions together. He'd remind me the bible says a merry heart does the body good like a medicine. I'm feeling better just thinking 'bout that. Sorry, but the best I can offer you right now is : This medicine is supposed to keep my head from swelling but if you ask me, the atheist need it worse than I do and I've had the big head a long time.


I've studied the Bible. I'm no expert. Over the years, I've seen the so called experts get it wrong time and time again. They wrap and spin an educated theory (in other words they guess and assume) around the most complicated theological concepts while missing the boat when it comes to the gospel .
  The simplest, most beautiful parts are mysterious enough. I've pondered the more complicated aspects of my faith never forgetting His promises. Promises like "no one knows " and his "thoughts are above our thoughts". Job says God is too wonderful to understand.
 Today, I heard there are 7500 or so promises in the bible. On the Eve of this surgery, I am claiming them all. Even the ones I don't know. Especially John 3:16. Pardon the ramblings of a sober yet drugged up insomniac. Lord, I know you never sleep. I know you have a holy sense of humor. But you knew this wasn't what I meant when I asked you to make me more like you. Still, I'm listening and doing my best to be obedient. Even though it's midnight. By now, I know this is going to be all night. Tweaking. It's kinda fun just me and you hanging out. But it's exhausting. An easy yoke, and a light burden would be nice, right about say now, Lord. Just saying.
 
Here's what I hearing and penning as a nearby train howles like a lone wolf in the background. The only soothing sound right now is the voice of the Holy Spirit . Reminding me this is my favorite day of the week. Monday is here. The day my group meets to worship and study. Some  loud mouth at the nurse's station sounds just like my buddy Jim Brown. If a voice besides God's is keeping me awake, at least it sounds just like the one who has constantly said  " I got your back ". You don't see signs when you don't listen for them. God may be a fisherman, but he gave things for us to hunt. Blessed is the hunter that would be a fisher of men.  Book of Cletus chapter 1:1 cause I ain't adding nothing to a perfect book.

Is there a more beautiful yet simply complicated mystery than redemption?
Grace is a promise of the empty tomb. An easy burden only if you embrace crosses. Not only Christ's cross but the one He promises anyone who would follow Him. I've never gotten over the mystery of grace. It continues to memorized me beyond whatever Freewill I have or had. I hope it continues to do so for I have little to no faith in myself. I'll discuss but never debate how people come to Christ. Or how they stay in Christ. But I'll tell anyone the only hope there is for us is Christ. 
 If there's a meaning to this life it has to be "Love God, love people. Do something about it." It sounds simple but... it's totally mysterious. May it become not only our mantra. Say it over and over until you have the faith to plant seeds because a " faith without works is dead." I pray those seeds will spring forth and resurrect your joy until you're willing to "Charge the gates of hell with a squirt gun." Those are my favorite quotes from my pastor Kevin Childs. May they become our fight song, our battle cry. A sort of divine rebel yell that scares the hell out lost souls as we proclaim a victory for the kingdom. Stay with me there's a point to this punning madness.

There's lots of hype coming from the new Left Behind movie. There are several theories concerning the rapture. I've studied them all. I've no definitive opinion on it.  I'm no end times guru but this much is for certain. Anybody who knows God's in control, knows a tetrad of Blood Moons and total eclipses of the sun, coinciding with major Jewish celebrations, aren't just some cosmic coincidences. However, the only mystery God ever called me to unravel is how so many who claim Him don't see the need to be His hands and feet. Christ is returning and we are closer than we've ever been for sure . Still, the rapture remains a mystery, at least for me. I encouraged you to watch "Left Behind"  while remembering this is Hollywood. Not Holywood. Jesus said not one i would be left without a dot. No "t"s left uncrossed. So one little extra misplaced or misguided "L" could be important .

Don't expect or accept this as the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, cause it ain't a testimony. They market. They entertain.This is only one theory concerning a biblical mystery. 

Here's what I know.

While Jesus tells us to watch for His return, look for signs, He also says be busy doing the master's work.
Jesus says don't worry. Work and be prepared. If you ain't working you ain't prepared. Stop asking, what are we going to do? Do something! There's plenty to do besides star gazing. None love star gazing more than me but we have to worship Jesus more. We have to love people above anything created. We have to love others more than ourselves. And we have to love proving it by doing something.
One of the enemy's best lies has long been "you have plenty of time." And " you 'll get a second chance". That scares me for non Christians. The reality is you're only one breath away from no second chance.  That could supersede the rapture for you. It will have for most of mankind. For over two thousand years, as far as it concerns salvation for most believers and non believers, Jesus has already has come. If few find the long way, the straight and narrow road less traveled in a world where the Holy Spirit indwells believers, how easy do you think it'll be once they're gone? We all need Jesus now! Likewise, It concerns me ill prepared Christians in America watch the news and skies thinking we will beat tribulation. In case you've missed it ( pun intended) there's a plague that's killing 90 percent of people that get it and Muslims are beheading those who refuse to covert right here. They're slaughtering our brothers and sisters abroad. While Americans hum "when you wish upon a star" instead of  "whistle while you work " , people are digging their own graves. And the sky hasn't split open for the elect's sake yet. I suggest singing " Here I Am, Lord." I'm posting the lyrics at the bottom Sing it until you mean it.
 So, for you who wonder why I can face the possibility of death candidly with a humorous flare, it's because dying with Christ is far less terrifying than living for Him. Better hope for the best and plan for the worst. There are complications worst than death associated with this surgery. By the way, speaking of hope, if you put that in man it better be a god. His name better be Jesus. As Job says " though He slay me I will trust Him. As Rich Mullins said,
" if I stand, let me stand on the promise you will pull me through. If I can't let me fall on the grace that first brought me to you. If I sing, let me sing for the joy you've born in me these songs.  And if I weep let it be as a man who is longing for his home".
 
Missing out on serving God by serving others would be the tragedy of being left behind regardless if the and especially if it comes in your lifetime.
I encourage you to realize a universal truth for believers and non believers. "Only eternal things matter." Depending on your focus, what you are going to leave behind, will determine if you get left behind. Make an eternal investment in heaven. Make a life with Christ. Life's too short not to do something. A little crazy, that is.


 






Artist:Hymns
Album:Unknown
Title:Here I Am, Lord
I, the Lord of sea and sky,
I have heard My people cry.
All who dwell in dark and sin,
My hand will save.
I who made the stars of night,
I will make their darkness bright.
Who will bear My light to them?
Whom shall I send?

Here I am Lord, Is it I Lord?
I have heard You calling in the night.
I will go Lord, if You lead me.
I will hold Your people in my heart.

I, the Lord of snow and rain,
I have born my peoples pain.
I have wept for love of them, They turn away.
I will break their hearts of stone,
Give them hearts for love alone.
I will speak My word to them,
Whom shall I send?

Here I am Lord, Is it I Lord?
I have heard You calling in the night.
I will go Lord, if You lead me.
I will hold Your people in my heart.

I, the Lord of wind and flame,
I will tend the poor and lame.
I will set a feast for them,
My hand will save
Finest bread I will provide,
Till their hearts be satisfied.
I will give My life to them,
Whom shall I send?

Here I am Lord, Is it I Lord?
I have heard You calling in the night.
I will go Lord, if You lead me.
I will hold Your people in my heart.

No comments: