Search This Blog

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Jesus Has Enough Fans

Tomorrow, just in time for football season, we start a new series called GameTime. America loves football. So do a lot of God's people. There's lots of great things that surround the game. No doubt, it will be delivered excitingly since Matt Brown never lets our team down. While I have high hopes for potential new believers and seasoned Christians to easily connect through GameTime, for me it will be more difficult. 
I know as much about football as I do rocket science. Even that's more than I usually care to know. Football, metaphorically speaking, isn't always symbolic of Christ's charity. The competitive nature of the sport often ignites pride and vanity. Negative social and economic impacts as well as character flaws are overlooked for the glory of the game. Once, the events might have resembled worship but now they surpass worship in enthusiasm and participation.
Though many look fondly upon the American pastime, football is a source of a lot of unpleasant childhood memories for me. From 8 years old through high school, I was the guy no one wanted on their team. When my childhood best friend became interested in football, I ended up on the sidelines. Regardless of all the positive effects of football on our society, and no matter its ability to bring people together, I remember the alienation it brought to me. I know there are others that feel much like I do about the sport. So, I tried to draw some positive parallels for us nerds. 
What if Jesus had a football team? 
Anyone who wanted to could make the team even losers like me.
His star players would lead in fumbles.( just read His play book )
 Constant turnovers would happen because they'd drop the ball. He'd pick those with the least impressive stats to be his first string. Still they would achieve the loftiest of goals. He'd recruit His rivals.His personal trainers would treat the injuries of the challengers. Likewise, his waterboy a would refresh the opposition. Angels would be His cheerleaders. His managers wouldn't be allowed to keep negative data. He'd never review the game tape to point out what went wrong. He'd take all the blame. His team would have the best defense. He'd intercept every pass and He'd always be victorious. He'd turn to those in the stands and say to those waving His flag, " I want you on my team."
I think that was my problem all along. I was never content just watching a game. I should have been playing. Jesus has enough fans.


 

No comments: