Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Who Would You Fly With? A Different Diagnosis

What do you do when two doctors look at the same MRI and come up with two completely different diagnosis? The doctor at Duke gave us less certainty about what we are dealing with. The good news is the tumor might not be in the brain. It could be just close enough to the pituitary to appear so. It may be in the bone. So who do we believe ? Does it even matter? The bottom line is no matter whatever or wherever this is, it must come out. 
When weighing opinions, nothing trumps experience. When landing a plane in a storm, do you want the new hot shot pilot or the guy who has landed the plan for years? When the experienced pilot says he's not sure where he's gonna land the plane, it just boils down to trusting in his ability to land it. The doctor at Duke could be wrong about what this is. He even said so. But he's my doctor and I trust him. He'll take care of whatever comes along with my body. I have faith in my pilot and his ability to navigate  through storms. Only this doctor's not my pilot.

 I'm not a frequent flier to the doctor's office but I have flown in planes a number of times. Even had to make a an emergency landing once. Figuratively, my pilot has made such landings with me as well as countless others.
 My pilot never tells me what course we are on. He only says we'll eventually land safely at home. Along the way we will be landing and refueling at preselected areas. In the meantime, I'm to set back and enjoy the flight. He's assured me, he will either calm the storms or keep me calm in them. Since I'm not in the cockpit, I'm not sure if there are dark clouds or clear skies ahead. But that's ok, because I can't fly the plane anyway. Honestly, sometimes I like for him to fly through the storms. I love to see him show off those moves. Just so I can brag about how good he is. Oh look, Jesus just turned on the fasten your seatbelt sign.  
The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; he knows those who take refuge in him. (Nahum 1:7 ESV)

No comments: