Search This Blog

Monday, February 2, 2015

Journeys & Storms or Heaven in a Hamburger Joint



Life is more like the weather than a box of chocolates. You never know when it`s going to change. The sun can be shinning, but suddenly, like a crippling blizzard setting in, piling up layer after layer, until nothing can move, storms can come. That`s just what being treated for cancer can be like. You just don`t really know which way the wind`s going to blow. Or who it will blow in. When my best friends, Bob and Mary Cody, surprised me with a visit midway my treatment, I was overwhelmed. Then Juno hit, the blizzard of 2015. Twenty-four inches of snow in twenty-four hours crippled the city. We were separated by only two miles but were we as far apart as we were at a 1000. They hadn`t prepared for the freak storm. They weren`t, shall we say, dressed for the occasion. Other than the Freedom Trail, that I have now dubbed the freeze`um trail, the whole ordeal kept us from seeing any of Boston`s attractions. Still, I try to learn the lessons God teaches in all circumstances.

Storms are unavoidable. Be prepared for the worse while praying for the best. Jesus teaches this in Matthew 7. Build on a solid foundation then you will stay prepared. If my parents got anything perfect raising me it was this. We`ve never been accused of traveling light but you can`t properly minister to others if you`re ill prepared. Ezekiel 38:7 says "Be ready and keep ready, you and all your host assembled about you, and be a guard for them". Storms don`t have to stop us. That`s the whole point of being prepared.

 It was in the middle of Juno, during the night, that five cancer patients  (myself included) and one care giver, ages ranging from 26 to 72, set out on a trek
 over two and half miles through the blizzard. The busy streets of Boston were reduced to a white desert and we were its wayfaring travelers. Only the occasional snowplow or police vehicle were on the roads. From within their warm cabs came strange glances of perplexion toward us. Ignoring them, we traveled on, for we were on a mission. Like Paul, we pressed on toward the prize with no concerns for the things behind us. Arriving at our destination, we entered into the warmth, discarding heavy coats. Funny how a brush of death can make you feel alive. Laughter and fellowship filled the air as we feasted on the best burger I have ever tasted. Though I was caught in the moment, I couldn`t help but think of a day when we will forever caste off these clothes and rest from this journey through storms, we call life. What a feast that will be.
 The place was small and crowded, I felt fortunate to have found it partially vacant. As crowded as it was, I wished Bob was taking up one more seat. With my chin propped in my hand, I smiled. Blissful aromas flowing from the grill sent me daydreaming of how wonderful heaven must smell. Waking up to, "Come on, Clint", I bundled myself together to resume a journey I know is only halfway complete. I turn my face back into the wind and ice with this in mind:  Now that I am full, I`ve been called to go. One little storm isn`t going to stop me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the picture Clint, even more so; love the smiles.
A belly full of hot burgers and a snow storm...what could be better you ask. Oh yah... I know.
How does the song go. "Take this world and give me Jesus, this is not where I belong"
Peace my friend,
Jim Brown