Search This Blog

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Who is Knocking at the Door?

Those who know me, know of my good friend Bob Cody. I can't help but tell you about him. He is one of the most generous persons I have ever met. It was Bob, who took me to Africa. It was Bob, who helped me build my dreamhouse. He, more so than anyone, has been critical of me when I needed it ( even when I didn't)  He exempliflies friendship while being unfriendly. But the bible teaches that when it says in Proverbs 27.6
Wounds from a sincere friend are better than many kisses from an enemy.
 Those who know both Bob, and myself, know that we are the most unlikely of friends. We have a few things in common but for the most part we are complete opposites. Although Bob and I disaree on spiritual things, God often teaches me things through my dealings with Bob. 
  We enjoy pulling practical jokes on each other. That much we do have in common. Bob, is much better at this than me. He always gets the best end of the deal. I am a easy target. I am easily scared and easliy fooled. I can laugh at myself.
  Now Bob, has recently become a county policeman. From time to time, he comes by the hardware store, where I work.  The other night, I was working late, and officer Cody made an unannounced visit to Terry's Hardware. He did not call ahead. Instead, he began beating voilently, on my locked back door.
 I ran to the door and said, "who is it?".  Answered only by more  beating. Harder beating.
 So I shouted,"WHO IS IT?"
 More beating. At this point, I drawed my pistol. I went to the office called 911. I told the dispatcher my story. She called the on duty officer for my area, who curiously, was already on the scene.
" It is ok, let him in. It is one of our guys", she said." an Officer, Cody".
I laughed.
 " He is laughing too, do you guys know each other?" she asked chuckling.
 "We do now." I laughed.
 I holsterd my weapon and opened the door. You can't imagine how glad I was to see that old familar friend. who had been keeping watch over me and my place without my knowledge. We talked, we hadn't done that in awhile. When he left, I knew that God was teaching me a lesson. Today, I realized that lesson.
 Today, with every head bowed, and every eye closed, ( I did not cheat and look) I listened to our pastor respond to a show of hands who knew they needed a relationship with Jesus Christ. When the prayer was over, I knew there were those did not stand, who had asked for prayer concerning salvation.( I can count with my eyes closed). I am praying for you. Jesus, is knocking on your door. I can't help but wonder, if you decided not to let him in today ,because you fear, as I did, what lies beyond that door. Put away your defenses. Open the door. There will be an old familar friend on the other side. Who you'll be happy to know has been watching over you all along.
  So permit me, to play the part of the dispatcher, and tell you, " it's ok, let him in".
  You can laugh, when I ask," Do you know each other?
  And you can say" We do now."  After that, you'll have a friend, who is so generous , you wont be able not to tell everyone about him.
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the  door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. Revelation 3:20

No comments: