Search This Blog

Monday, September 14, 2015

The Secret Weapon

Pardon the pun, but a year ago, I spent this week wrapping my mind around a brain tumor. First, they said it wasn't cancer. Then, they said it was. Since those days, the only certainty has been uncertainty. 
Few things in life are certain. For the most part, what we call a sure thing is just an illusion. What it really is, is a life most of us take for granted. 
I spent most of this year slaying the invisible monsters and battling the one I can see in the mirror. Cancer is a  disease certain to challenge your faith over and over. You might eradicate it from your body but it will plague you in the constructs of your mind. Satan will attempt to torment a soul in this life, even if can't in the next. Just ask Job. This week, I make an appointment for another MRI to see if the tumor has regrown. Last year they couldn't find any trace post surgery.  Praise God! In spite of that great blessing I've been given, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little anxious.  It's a new spiritual battle I face everyday.  Like all spiritual battles, it's  one I can learn from and one I'll be victorious in, through Christ.
The monsters aren't the only thing invisible. There are battle scars you just can't see. No one can tell by looking, I've had brain surgery. Yet, I can assure you the scars are there, on the inside. They are still a source of pain, despite the fact that you can't see them. Reminding me, we can't see the scars on people's hearts. Especially those camouflaged with smiles and wit or the ones heavily armored with rudeness and indifference. Constantly now, God reminds me we were made from the dirt and I was always broken. Even before the revelation of this disease.
 Besides the spiritual armor discribed in Ephesians 6, Christ followers have a secret weapon to deploy in spiritual battle.

It's a weapon of mass construction. The only solution I've found. Praise. Thanking God in all circumstances. Praise reminds us of not only who is our Father, but also, who our Father is. Our creator, sustainer, defender, and redeemer. Our friend.
The enemy can't stand it. Can't stand for it. Can't stand up to it. Can't stand around it. 

Jeremiah 17:14 says"Heal me, Lord, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise."

1 Thessalonians 5:18 says
give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you 
Praise changes everything. Praise leads to service. Service is just praise on steroids .

If you are in any spiritual battle , I encourage you to share them. Don't battle alone. Let's praise Him!! And serve Him!!! What are someways we can serve Him together?

No comments: