Search This Blog

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Missing Christmas

Christmas has always been a big deal to me. I love the music, the food, and the fellowship. I've heard about the Christmas rush but I've never been caught in it. For as long as I can remember, I have enjoyed sharing gifts with family and friends. It`s been hard for me to get in the Christmas spirit this year. Now, thanks to a brain tumor, I will be spending Christmas in Boston, away from my family and friends. I borrowed this years Christmas theme from the Grinch soundtrack, Where are You Christmas?  I`ve never missed Christmas before.
 Tonight, I took my family to see the Pirates Voyage. It was a new experience that served as our family Christmas dinner. The cast put us in the Christmas spirit. Our family singing Christmas songs together on the way home is bound to be the most surreal moment of this Christmas. The show was highly entertaining with a unique morphing of A Christmas Carol and their regular show. It touched on core Christian beliefs. Reminding the audience of the fiery consequence of an unredeemed life, the production highlighted God's rescue mission that began long before that first Christmas. It ended in a live nativity and communicated the only hope for mankind would come by way of the first holiday travel. There are so many lessons we can learn from that first Christmas.
The first Christmas gift was The Word of God. Instead of paper, it was wrapped in flesh wrapped in swaddling cloth. Now, gifts are found under a tree but the first one was found in a stable. Mary placed our gift in a manger. Our gifts sometimes come in boxes but we can`t put our God in one.
 The first Christmas light is still burning in the hearts of men. It was born in the shadow of a cross, overcomes the darkness of the grave, and is a lamp illuminating the only path to God. It`s the ultimate gift and a miracle for it to find you. Christmas is the beginning of " it is finished" It`s the miracle of hope. A miracle I intend to share in Boston. Like I said, I`ve never missed Christmas before. I see no reason to start now.